Open Public Records Act (OPRA) Request Form
Kinnelon Public Library values transparency in government and abides by the Open Public Record Act (OPRA) N.J.S.A. 47:1A-1 et seq., and makes its records, except for certain exceptions outlined in the law, accessible for inspection, copying or examination.
To request access to Public Records, complete and submit an OPRA Request Form to the KPL Records Custodian:
Library Director & Records Custodian
132 Kinnelon Rd.
Kinnelon NJ 07405
To print out a form, then fill out by hand and mail, please CLICK HERE.
All Requests under the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) must be made in writing on the form provided by the Library, which includes additional information, procedures and requirements. All requests under OPRA shall be hand-delivered or mailed to the Library Director, who is Custodian of the Records for the Library.
- The Library Director will act as Custodian of Records for the Library.
- The Library Director will acknowledge receipt of OPRA requests within one business day and will review the request to determine if the requested records are excluded under law and whether the request can be fulfilled in seven (7) business days or if additional time is needed. The Library Director may consult with the Library’s legal counsel if necessary.
- If additional lime is needed, the Library Director will notify the requester as to the amount of additional time needed and the reason therefore. Records that are not excluded will be made available to view or will be reproduced and the person placing the request will be notified within seven business days or such other time as is reasonably required to review and complete the response to the request. A fee of $0.05 for photocopying letter size or $0.07 for legal size papers, or the actual cost of reproducing other formats, whichever is greater, will be assessed as well as other costs as permitted by the OPRA.
- Requests for records that are excluded from being released will be denied and the person placing the request will be notified within seven business days or such additional time as is reasonably required to review and complete the response to the request. The notification will include the reason for denial. A person who is denied access to a Library record can file suit in Superior Court or file a complaint with the Government Records Council under N.J.S.A. 47:1A-6.
- The Library will keep a complete record of all requests, including the original OPRA request form, a list of records retrieved, time needed to compile the information.
Fees & Deposits
- Letter size pages – $0.05 / page
- Legal size pages – $0.07 / page
- Other materials (CDs, DVDs, etc.) – Actual cost of material
- Delivery/Postage – Fees addt’l depending on delivery type.
- Special Service Charge – Dependent upon request
The Records Custodian may require a deposit against costs for reproducing documents sought through an anonymous request whenever the Records Custodian anticipates that the documents requested will cost in excess of $5 to reproduce. Where a special service charge is warranted under OPRA, that amount will be communicated to you as required under the statute. You have the opportunity to review and object to the charge prior to it being incurred. If, however, you approve of the fact and amount of the special service charge, you may be required to pay a deposit or pay in full prior to reproduction of the documents.